Sesbania is a genus of flowering plants in the pea family, Fabaceae.
Sesbania grandiflora : Commonly it is known as caturay, katurai, corkwood tree, scarlet wisteria, sesban, vegetable hummingbird in English, agati a grandes fleurs in French, Ta-Hua in Chinese, Agasti in Nepali, Baculo in Spanish, A Ga Sta in Tibetan. Sesbania (ses-BAN-nee-uh) is from the word Sesban It means large flowered
When can I pick it?
Flowers and fruits second year though under good conditions can develop pods in nine months. Grows fast enough to be an annual fodder crop.
Leaves, seeds, pods and flowers of S. grandiflora are edible.
Flowers are the most widely used part, and white flowers are preferred to the red. They have acrid, bitter, and astringent taste and are eaten both cooked and raw, in salads, curries, and as a steamed vegetable.
- The shrub’s long narrow pods are eaten as a vegetable, similar in use to string beans.
- The seeds are fermented into a tempeh turi.
- Young leaves and shoots are eaten in salads or as a pot herb or in soups and stews.
- Its flowers are eaten raw in salads, boiled, fried or use in curries, stews and soups. They taste like mushrooms and are rich in iron and sugar, read sweet.
Other Sesbanias with edible parts include Sesbania coccinea, a cultivar of S. grandifolia, and the Sesbania sesban (the latter is also a forage crop for livestock.) The roasted seeds of the Sesbania canavillesii has been used as a coffee substitute. All other parts are toxic. Sesbania grandifolia‘s seeds are toxic to fish. An water extract of the bark is toxic to cockroaches
- Contains plenty of sterols, saponins and tannins which are liable for its various pharmacological properties
- It is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. 20 gram of sesbania offers 14.6 mg of Vitamin c, 20 µg of Vitamin B9, 0.17 mg of Iron, 0.2 mg of Selenium, 0.017 mg of Vitamin B1 and 0.016 mg of Vitamin B2. Moreover many Amino acids like 0.004 g of Tryptophan, 0.011 g of Threonine, 0.014 g of Isoleucine, 0.021 g of Leucine and 0.013 g of Lysine are also found in 20 gram of sesbania.
- Lower blood pressure
- Help keep arteries flexible
- Supports normal fetal development
- Beneficial for skin
- Boosts immunity
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease, migraine, weakness